Friday, April 21, 2017

Trust in the Slow Work of God

James 5:7-8 “Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient about it, until it receives the early and the late rains.  You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.”

So last night I was listening to 1320AM and the message was about being patient and waiting for God’s work. That if we simply asked and got what we wanted immediately all the time, what would we learn. How would that bring us truly closer to God. How would that create the close relationship that God wants to have with each of us.

So then today, I’m listening to an old Hallie Weekly podcast and ironically it’s on the same topic….so I know God wants me to hear this and pay attention. The podcast shared a poem by Pierre Chardin “Trust in the Slow Work of God”, which I decided to share below.
My journey over the past year has been a slow one of healing, but during this time, I have felt closer to God than ever before. I know this journey is a gift that He is giving to me as I watch Him continuously shower me with love and mercy. He is allowing me to be still and listen to Him while allowing Him to open my heart and shine His light within me.

Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything
to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way
to something unknown, something new.
Yet it is the law of all progress that is made
by passing through some stages of instability
and that may take a very long time.
And so I think it is with you.
Your ideas mature gradually. Let them grow.
Let them shape themselves without undue haste.
Do not try to force them on
as though you could be today what time
-- that is to say, grace --
and circumstances
-- acting on your own good will --
will make you tomorrow.
Only God could say what this new Spirit
gradually forming in you will be.
Give our Lord the benefit of believing
that his hand is leading you,
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
in suspense and incomplete.
Above all, trust in the slow work of God,
our loving vine-dresser. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment